About Us

The Okemah Public School Foundation was established in 1990 with an initial gift of $108.54 from the OHS Class of 1949. The money, left over from a class reunion, was given to then OHS Principal Mac Smith to start the “Okemah High School Foundation.” David Martin, a local attorney (now Okfuskee County’s Associate District Judge, agreed to help the school with legal work and the Foundation was born.

Martin, who became the first OPS Foundation President, secured tax-exempt status as a charitable foundation in March of 1990. Lance Warn joined Martin on the board as Vice-President, Betty Luckett as secretary, Janet Anderson as treasurer. Also serving as board members were: Bette Davidson, Jim Parks, Steve Standley, Ed Frock, lmogene Johnson, Inez Hall, Lloyd Pickering, Phillip McMahan and Wanda Sexton.

In April of 1990, the name was officially changed to the Okemah Public School Foundation. Janice Martin agreed to serve as Executive Director. By November of the same year, the Foundation had raised $10,000 which was matched by funds from the Okemah National Bank (now BancFirst) and the Foundation was on its way to becoming a viable and active partner in Academic Excellence for the Okemah Public Schools.

The Okemah Public School Foundation has given close to $200,000 to classroom teachers for new and innovative programs, materials and instruction for Okemah’s students. In addition, more than 40 $2000 challenge scholarships have been awarded to Okemah sophomores. With the support of alumni and the community, the Foundation will continue to honor and recognized students and teachers for achieving excellence.